Saturday, March 24, 2012

Delayed Friday Fiction: Get Well Soon


You're always in control of fiction...or are you?

She lay in bed staring out the window to her left. It was a rather nice day to be outside. But she felt too weak to even step out of her room much less outside and consoled herself with only the vision of sunny blue skies. She then noticed the bunch of Gerbera flowers on the side table. Her best friend had brought them to cheer her up. They were a day old but still looked fresh, a nice healthy pink colour. She looked at them absentmindedly for a while. Then she slowly picked a Gerbera from the vase and started thinking of him. As if she had stopped thinking of him at all.


She plucked a petal…he loves me.
Of course he does! Last time I was sick he had come by and sat for so long, fussing over me and straightening the pillow and asking if I needed anything. He’d been really sweet.
He loves me not.
So why hasn’t he even called this time then? We have never not spoken for so long!
He loves me.
Maybe he is busy. I’m sure he’s busy. Why else would he not even so much as ask why I hadn’t called in two days?
He loves me not.
Does he not know I am sick? How can he not sense these things after we have been together for so many days?
He loves me.
But just the last time we met everything was fine. We sat on the pavement talking after the movie for so long. And he had said I looked very pretty too. And he had held my hand. Why would he do that if he didn’t love me?
He loves me not.
Maybe he holds everybody’s hands like that. What’s the big deal about holding hands anyway? That isn’t proof that he loves me.
He loves me.
But I know he does! I can see it in his eyes when he looks at me. It is impossible to miss these things! I know he loves me.
He loves me not.
Maybe he doesn’t. If he loves me, he should also care for me. Ask how I am and call if I haven’t called. Is love only about watching movies together and roaming about town aimlessly? What about care? Does he even think about me when I am not around?
He loves me.
I do remember he said he missed me when we hadn’t seen each other for long the last time. Wasn’t that when he had gone on a week-long trip? Surely that means something when he says things like that? Surely it means he loves me?
He loves me not.
But I miss my friends when they are not around. That is in no way proof that he loves me. Does he miss me more than everybody else? If he misses me equally and not more, there is no way he loves me.
He loves me.
It’s hard to tell anymore.
He loves me not.
I can’t believe that.

As she plucked the last petal, her fever soared and she fell back into her pillow resignedly. Why couldn’t he just call and end her misery? She wasn’t going to call; it was she who was unwell. If only he would call and she could hear his voice. But he hadn’t. In two days.

So thinking she picked up another pink Gerbera from the vase and started the game all over again.

He loves me…

8 Thinkers Pondered:

Saru Singhal said...

Only those in love can understand her state of mind. Love is a complex situation...Lovely writing!

bwl said...

Marvelous…..
bangalorewithlove.com

Anupama said...

Thank you so much Saru and BWL :)

Poonam Tripathi Singampally said...

:)you are awesome!!!

Poonam Tripathi Singampally said...

:) you are awesome!

Krupakar said...

The best part of the story (all of it was good) was the small italicized line at the beginning :) Of course, it may not seem that "best" for you.

But the lady of the story is right not to call him. As I recently heard another redoubtable young woman say in the movie Winter's Bone "Never ask for what oughta be offered."

Anupama said...

Thanks a bunch Poonam and Krupakar!

Ash said...

Love it, awesome post!