Saturday, January 28, 2012

A Boat Ride To Remember

Exactly a month ago I was on one of the best vacations in my life, by the waters of the Arabian Sea. There were many things special about it and one of those things was a boat ride to see dolphins. We went far enough to lose sight of the shore and then all that there was, was the vastness of the ocean around us. In a rickety motor-boat we sailed towards where the dolphins were playing. It is something that will stay with me for a long time, watching pairs of dolphins glistening in the morning sun as they swam around in the open waters. 

What will also stay with me for a long time is how excited our boatmen and their children got upon seeing the dolphins. I had thought that what was going to be a novel experience for us must be commonplace for them, since they practically went out to sea every day. But they were as excited as us, if not more, upon spotting the dolphins. One of them remarked excitedly about how intelligent those creatures are. It was infectious, childlike enthusiasm that amazed me. Was it their simple lives that allowed them to maintain simplicity in their selves? Had we made our lives too complicated with awe-inspiring technology and advancement? These people were happy and it showed. And I wondered what it took to be that happy.


We visited an island after watching the dolphins and our boatmen’s enthusiasm never fazed as they showed us sea creatures and explained their peculiarities. It was such a good feeling to be around these people who were in touch with the child inside them, who were genuine and who meant it when they smiled. On our way back we were surrounded by that vast body of water again for a while and I suddenly felt small and insignificant. How much I let the trivial thoughts in my head worry me on some days when there were bigger and more beautiful things out there that could instantly reduce you to a speck in a blue sheet. The whole experience was so overwhelming that a spontaneous tears rolled down my cheek. And only one line from the song ‘I Hope You Dance’ kept coming back to me:

I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean.

I did. And I was glad for it. And I hope I will always feel that way.

This song is dedicated to those boatmen, that beautiful experience, the memory and to many more such vacations...I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Womack.

I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Womack on Grooveshark


I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed

I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance

I hope you dance 
I hope you dance

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Livin' might mean takin' chances, but they're worth takin'
Lovin' might be a mistake, but it's worth makin'

Don't let some Hellbent heart leave you bitter
When you come close to sellin' out, reconsider
Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance

(Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along)
(Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder, where those years have gone?)

Writers: Tia Sillers, Mark D. Sanders



0 Thinkers Pondered: