Sunday, September 19, 2010

Rolling On The River

This was in the July of 2007. I was on a rafting trip with Get Off. I am not really an adventure sports person but I wanted to go rafting anyway. And I did. It was a brand new experience, thrilling to the core. And it turned out to be a lot of fun too.

One of the instructions that we were given during the lessons was that if we ever got thrown out of the raft on a rapid, we shouldn’t attempt to swim. We could hurt ourselves by swimming if there were rocks around. We should let ourselves go with the flow of the river until we had reached calmer waters and attempted to move our limbs. Our life jackets wouldn’t let us drown anyway. Simple. Any questions? None.



It’s funny how it is difficult to apply the same learning to life when you get thrown out of the raft. The cold water hits you and you feel tightness in your chest. You panic and start to swim like mad, hoping to stay afloat, not even knowing whether you are going with the stream or against it. And then you hurt yourself. Badly. If only you would trust the river of life and go with the flow until you found calmer waters. 

The problem is that in life you don’t get a life-jacket. But after a while we must all learn to free-float.

7 Thinkers Pondered:

Roy said...

the river is usually more caring than life...doesn't seem that way though.

Eveline said...

Brilliant post. I'm hoping to go on a rafting trip too, just because.

Actually, I'm gonna let go and stop fighting the universe so much. I always do a horrible job, but from now on? I will not be denied! :)

Have a great day!

Anupama said...

Hey Roy!

Sometimes I wonder if both are not the same...thanks for the comment :)

Hey Eve!!

Have a great time if you end up going sometime soon!

I have been in the same mood fighting the universe lately but I guess I am still to make up my mind.

You have a great week ahead!

eye-in-sty-in said...

Ah. I love a well used metaphor :-)

Anupama said...

Hey Spike!!

Thanks :) Glad you think it was well-used...

libererlesprit said...

which place is it

Anupama said...

Hey libererlesprit,

This is near Kutta in South Coorg in India...the river is called Barapole and the nearest place to stay is Kutta. You can find it by looking up the Brahmagiri Reserve in Karnataka.

Hope it helps. Thanks for stopping by :)