Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Pondicherry Dreams

I was in Pondicherry last week. That beautiful town that I never seem to get enough of. Everytime I go to this seaside town I spend the least amount of time by the sea and come back feeling like something was missing. It’s absurd.

So here’s what I want to do: I want to go back to Pondicherry…sooner and not later. And I want to sit and just be. I want to sit by the seaside and stare endlessly. I want to listen to the waves lap at the shore playfully and return to the infinite. I want to watch the tides rise and fall. I want to sit until we grow weary of each other, the sea and me.

But I have a feeling weary is the last thing I will get. I don’t know the sea yet. I am even a little scared of it sometimes. To me the sea is a stranger. We just bump into each other for a short time once in a while and then go our own ways. Most of the time I go my own way. The sea stays where it is. So then it’s more like a house I pass by on the street and stop to ask for a glass of water. I end up chatting for a while before I say thank you and walk away. The house stays in that same street.

But when I do get to know the sea, I have a feeling it will become like one of my favourite persons. The kind I really enjoy talking to. Whether it is a quick chat over coffee or a long lazy lunch conversation I just never seem to get enough of talking to them. There are definitely times when we don’t have anything to say to each other but we sit comfortably in that silence too. I have a feeling the sea will become one of those people to me. 



Right now I sit in its presence and before I can get comfortable and start talking I get up and leave. The sea, of course, patiently waits for me to return. 

And return I shall. This time I will stay in the French Quarter or around so I can walk in those European lanes till my feet hurt. I will pretend that it’s France in summer and make myself happy. I will watch the sun rise over the sea and enjoy a cup of coffee as the orange sheet turns to blue (hopefully this time I’ll get to see that sight). I will sit on the sand by the sea until we really start talking, the sea and I…until I am sending my deepest fears and dreams out into the infinite. And then we will break for lunch, I will find some continental lunch among those rows of French villas. And then I’ll go meet the sea for high tea. And then when we’ve reached a point of being comfortable in each other’s silence, maybe then my tryst with Pondicherry will be complete. Maybe then I would have made peace with Pondicherry.

For now, I will have to make do with going to that pretty place in my dreams…I’ll be in Pondicherry tonight.

5 Thinkers Pondered:

anurag said...

I liked the way you described your pondicherry experience .. I have been planning to visit pondicherry for the longest time now, and finally i am travelling there next weekend :) let me know if you can suggest some nice homestay to stay preferably in french area of town..

ajay said...

hi anupama....
awesomely described....it reminds me of my college days :)..a small suggestion...if u are planning to go again dont miss the sunset at rock beach...its one of the most beautiful thing out there :) ...

Shravan said...

That was a very good one.
Everything changes with time. There are only a few that will be the same in a life time and Seaside is one of that. So, no day is too late to enjoy the sea. Have a good time in pondicherry.

Anupama said...

Hi Anurag,

Hope you had a good trip to Pondicherry and loved it as much as I love the town. Sorry couldn't come back to you in time with the homestay details but hopefully you were able to find a nice place to stay in. Thank you so much for the comment!

Hi Ajay,

Will definitely try and catch the sunset next time I am there. The clouds have been too generous to me so far on all my Pondicherry trips...hopefully once at least they will let me see the sun :) Thanks for the comment...

Hey Shravan,

Thank you so much for the comment :) Agree about the nature of the Seaside and I feel the same about the mountains in fact. They are just there no matter when you go back to them...

raeez said...

Very nicely shared with us . I like your writing style Anupama madam