Monday, August 02, 2010

A Rendezvous In The Mountains

I sit here trying to find something meaningful to do with the laptop open and mindlessly scratch my left foot, right in the centre of the sole. Can’t think of anything to write about, nothing to read. I look through some old pictures to remember some good times. The itch annoys me and I scratch harder before it strikes me…it’s my foot that is itching. Travel is impending. I’m not planning in vain : )

It’s the mountains first. Have I ever told you how safe the mountains make me feel? They stand there weathering it all, over the centuries. They represent a permanence of sorts. They may change over the years in their own way but they never go away. They never leave. They are always there to go back to. So that’s where I shall go.

The thought of travelling to a new place excites me. You never know what stories you may get to hear on the way. You never know what stories you may end up telling. It depends on the part of you that the place awakens and touches. Some places make you feel like a child and induce spirit. Some places force you to contemplate. And your stories change accordingly. You change accordingly. So you are a different person to each of these places. And in that you can live multiple lives. Have a relationship with each city that only that city understands. It’s a secret only the two of you know, who you are to that city. No one else matters.

And each place changes me in its own way. Sometimes I uncover a fear I had never known. Then I conquer it and am a tad fearless than before. Sometimes the city shows me the prejudices and stereotypes I hold in my head. And I seek to shatter them by pelting a stone picked from the streets of that same city. Sometimes I see a mirror, find myself in someone else’s conversation. I meet myself there and we explore parallel universes. And I return home, so does my other self…to the stories where it lives. I love meeting a different me every time I travel. I surprise myself sometimes.

I can sense fear right now. And I need to encounter it…conquer it. Maybe a story is waiting out there. Maybe the mountains know the answer. And I must go. To meet myself somewhere on the winding path that leads to the peak. Round the corner on a busy street. Or in a long conversation. Under the watchful eyes of the mountains.

A song that always makes me visualize the road and serenity…Clarity by John Mayer

1 Thinkers Pondered:

Shreyas said...

Nice one.. especially the 3rd para. seems we share the same feeligns about travelling. "Have a relationship with each city that only that city understands. It’s a secret only the two of you know, who you are to that city. No one else matters." .. That's a wonderful revelation!!