Wednesday, June 16, 2010

For The Love Of The Dark Goddess

I came to know her well when I was thirteen. She had strange mystique to her the way she was so calm and smiled like she knew everybody’s secrets. She was beautiful…the dark goddess.

She had been shunned by everyone. Only the wayward welcomed her. They had a dark side. She knew the dark side too well.

She was lonely, an outcast. Her presence was equated with all that was dark. People couldn’t wait for her to leave when she came around. They gave her ugly epithets and wrote morbid idioms for her. It was true she covered more than she revealed, making it impossible to see reality. But it wasn’t her fault.

And yet she never talked about any of it. She always watched from a distance, sitting pretty, her black tresses flowing in the wind. Her beauty was overwhelming. It was soothing to be in the presence of someone so beautiful, so calm despite all that she had been labelled as by the cruel world. Her dignity was what drew me to her. They judged her but she never judged them back, she accepted all as they were and gave them solace if they came seeking. She never gave up on people. She never gave up on me.

In her presence I could be who I was inside. There was no need for any pretence. She heard me out, my deepest dreams and desires and smiled at it all. Like a mother watching her child describe his first fascination. If she was amused she didn’t show it. She continued smiling encouragingly.

Soon I grew very fond of her until a day wouldn’t pass without greeting her and talking awhile. She probably realized this since she started to speak too more openly. Never of her misery though, mostly about my dreams. She would add to them and help them grow. Like two pairs of hands patting the damp earth after a sapling has been planted. She inspired me to many things and encouraged me to pursue my dreams. In her peaceful presence I worked on them and together we shaped them. No matter how irrational, she made me believe it was all worth pursuing. It was this undying faith that made her my confidant…of the highest order.

I have spent so much time with her, spoken to her when my heart overflowed with joy, lay on the street broken or felt plain empty. She has watched over me when I thought I would never sleep again and the world had ended, patted me to sleep and the world has always been a better place the next day. And despite all that she has done for me she has never spoken of it to another soul, never mentioned it to me ever again.

She remains my inspiration, my companion, my confidant to this day. It is her optimism despite the darkness, that the sun will shine again no matter what even if it means that she must go away, it is that which will always stay with me.

The Night…how I love her! 

14 Thinkers Pondered:

ajay said...

Where do u get all these thoughts frm n most importantly How do u manage your time.This needs a lot of passion and a real gud taste. You write really good blogs and now i have made a habit of reading your blogs regularly. :)

Anupama said...

Thank you so much Ajay :) That is a nice thought to start my day with...thanks again for the kind words and for your time...hope to keep writing stuff that deserves the attention :)

Nirupama said...

Lovely post D!! Really well worded! Your posts are always a good read :)

popsie said...

One of your best posts...can't agree more...love the night and darkness...to sit in solitude in the dark is one of the few things I enjoy the most!

Rohini said...

Night times are the times when I usually sit and do my designs. It is during the darkness the creative juices flows.
I never really thought about the night which makes my day(coz I'd have done my designs in the night which would make tremendous sense in the light of the day).

Brilliant writing! Kudos! :)

Anupama said...

Hey Niru,

Thanks baby :)

Hey Popsie,

Thank you so much for the nice words :)

Hey Rohini,

Glad you liked the post and could relate to it :)

Vandana said...

Wonderful post girl!! It totally brings out ur love for the night.. and why not, most of ur great creations have come out of it :))

Anupama said...

Hey Vandu!

Thanks Sweetie :)

eye-in-sty-in said...

brilliantly written... you brought the night to life and gave it a form.

Sathej said...

Beautiful..so touched. Wonderful piece of writing!

Sathej

Eveline said...

Awesome! I wish I had something just as eloquent to add. Seriously, the best post I've read in awhile. So perfectly crafted. Thank you for ending my day so well.

Anupama said...

Hey Spike :)

Missed you here and thank you so much for your kind words :)

Hey Sathej!

Thank you so much for your compliment :) It means a lot...

Hey Eve!!

Glad you liked it girl! Thanks for the warm words :)

Sritama said...

Beautiful post!!The analogy between night and dark goddess is very creative..One of your best posts I feel..

raeez said...

Its very good.