Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Set The Fire To The Third Bar

I was to blog about something else today but I just have to get this overpowering feeling out of my head. It’s been a while a song made me feel like this. It’s been a while a song made me see all this.

Eveline gave us this song yesterday. Snow Patrol. Quite nice to listen to at first go. And the precise reason you would hear it a second time. And a third. Until it was the only thing playing on the playlist (I’m hearing it as I write). It’s one of those songs that you loop over and over. But not in the same way. Not quite in the same way.

This was quicksand. You got pulled in deeper every time you heard the song. And soon you couldn’t resist playing it ‘just-one-more-time’. It looked harmless until it had wrestled you to the ground…ironically, you enjoyed the feeling.

And then after hearing it some fifty odd times it had settled in well enough to start prodding your insides. And it found the weak spots. And then a vortex rose from those points. And soon the feeling overcame you. And you didn’t even know what had hit you.

So here I am sitting in office fighting back tears trying to figure out what is wrong. I even made a few phone calls to try and see if the anxious butterflies flew away.
The truth is, this song makes you miss. Something. Someone. It makes you want to break into a mad dash in the middle of a busy street looking for the one thing you hadn’t found or had lost…the one thing you needed to make everything else right. It makes you feel lost.

I find the map and draw a straight line
Over rivers, farms, and state lines
The distance from 'A' to where you'd be
It's only finger-lengths that I see
I touch the place where I'd find your face
My finger in creases of distant dark places


I can almost see them trace their fingers on that piece of paper. Two lonely souls in two distant homes…how one would give anything to make the distances to disappear!

Their words mostly noises
Ghosts with just voices
Your words in my memory
Are like music to me


Sooner or later that’s how it ends up. You are surrounded by people whose words make no sense to you and you spend every minute wishing you were somewhere else, with someone else. Having a nonsensical conversation that only the two of you understood. But the finger lengths of distance always come in between. And then you find yourselves, the two of you, looking over the cliffs into the distances, or standing alone in the rain, or caught in the storm with the vast envelope of loneliness for company.

I'm miles from where you are,
I lay down on the cold ground
I, I pray that something picks me up
And sets me down in your warm arms


If only.

This is the power of music. It makes you feel. Music is not just entertainment. Somewhere and in some way, every song is who you are. You are capable of feeling everything that any melody ever-made made its creator feel. And this is why I love music so much. It is who I am. And I love it when a song does this to me. Shows me visuals I don’t want to see or have buried deep within. It forces me to experience the reality that the artist went through and somewhere I live a new life in every song. And if there is no one to talk to about how you are feeling, music is the best place to go to…it will always have a song that will understand how you feel.

It breaks my heart that this song is so good. It really does. Listen to it but not just only once…let it grow on you and let it take you places. Let it even break your heart if it comes to that. Trust me, in dark way, you will enjoy the hold this song has on you.

This one is for Eveline…thank you for the music sweetie

6 Thinkers Pondered:

mentalie said...

beautifully put as usual, anupama. music makes better people.

Rohini Kulkarni said...

Brilliant song!!

All these days the track was lying on my hard drive.Dead. I used to play only 'chasing cars' on loop.

But..until now..
Yes! This has some haunting charm in it.
I do relate with what u say as 'living a new life in every new song'. Most of my fav songs have been a part of some memory. Whenever I listen to them, they come like a puzzle pieces and sit together to make a picture-pretty or ugly..a part of life.
God!
I love your writing!Just absolutely love it! :)
Glad to follow you on twitter and on blogspot.

Anupama said...

Hey Mentalie,

I like that thought...Music makes better people :)

Hi Rohini,

Thank you so much for the kind words and for the following :) It is people who care to read what has been written and then leave a comment with their thoughts that eggs any writing on.

And for that,a big thank you to all the kind souls who read this blog and let me know they are there :) You're all special...

Dhivya said...

Hey Anu,

Jus loved the write up!! Anytime there is some song somewhere that always understands us !! How true..

eveline said...

Thank You!!

I love good vocal work. I think it's a shame when good vocalists make horride music and, conversely, when good music is lost on piss-poor vocalists. But most importantly ,all I care about is sincerity. A heartfelt vocalist you can't help but like.
Excellent post, Anupama! Yeah i think that pretty much sums it up. :)

manvi said...

Beautiful post Anupama,
This happens to me almost everytime I hear a nice song! I believe that the heart of everything is music and its in music that i find my refuge, my sanctuary.