Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Revisiting Aisha

I kinda liked Wake Up Sid. I know at least one person who will sneer at that but it’s true. I liked the look of the movie, Ranbir’s T-shirts, the music, the fact that the guy goes ahead and does what he likes as opposed to joining the rat race, and the whole finding oneself business.

But what I liked the most was seeing myself on screen. I’m not kidding. I am pretty much what Aisha Banerjee is and today for some reason I was looking back on my life in Bangalore over the past three years and it made me think of Aisha.

I came to Bangalore leaving my comfort zone and lanes I knew like the back of my hand behind only because I knew the only way to grow up any further was to leave home and work in this lovely city, alone. I had fallen in love with Bangalore on my first visit but that doesn’t mean it made me any less apprehensive to start a new life here and establish myself when I came the second time. There was a time when I had got lost while coming back from JP Nagar 15th Cross to my office on Bannerghatta Road. Today, I know the lanes of this city like the back of my hand…well pretty much.

As I explored this city I ended up exploring myself too and rediscovered my love for a lot of things, in that writing. Bangalore let me experience so much in short spans of time that I just had to write it down to process it better. It let me put my past in perspective, it let me weave dreams for a future and it let me become the me I was always supposed to be. And it made me more of a writer. I am a small-time one right now but I do know I want to be a published author some day. And there I am Aisha again.

I love books and music much like she does. I have a fetish for cleanliness and order too. I have white-coloured curtains at home like her home does. And chai at midnight is one of my indulgences.

From The Art Of Travel I remember this bit about there being a place that we are born in and one that we connect to. Bangalore is the city of my soul. And the way Aisha falls in love with Bombay, I fall in love with Bangalore one day at a time.

A song from Wake Up Sid is called upon at this moment but instead I give to you one of my favourites – Aicha. This is for Aisha…my screen and soul twin.

Aicha by Outlandish on Grooveshark

10 Thinkers Pondered:

wander1ust said...

Hey Anu - nice post. Haven't watched any Bolly movies lately - might catch this one. By the way, I hope you are aware of the original song by Khaled by the same name (in fact, the tune is pretty similar too). It's in French (and maybe has a bit of Arabic). I like that one better.

Nirupama said...

Simply lovely! :)

Sowmya said...

As a Kannadiga, I feel like thanking you for loving Bangalore and saying its your soul.

So many people come here from outside and never seem to tire of comparing this city with Delhi, Bombay, Chennai, trying to prove that 'Chennai has more culture', 'Bombay has more professionalism', 'Delhi has better roads' and all that... They dont love the local langauage and since they dont love the city, they hurt it in many ways...

My wish is that people who come to Bangalore may be more and more like you...

Renu said...

nice post! even I love Banglore and fond of reading.

deepocean2k said...

:)) and you should mention all about the "lovely" people you met here :))

BTW, I have this great idea for you on how to publish your book. Lets talk about it.

Sukh Dev said...

Your description of how you relate to the movie, the Bangalore city in existential perspective is simple and like a candid camera photograph.

Anonymous said...

Well I acquiesce in but I about the brief should prepare more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I inclination not acquiesce in on it. I think precise post. Particularly the title attracted me to read the sound story.

Vandana said...

You wont believe Anu, i just couldn't stop thinking bout you while i saw Aisha in the movie... She really is ur twin soul.. Feels like the writer of the movie was inspired by you :D)