Tuesday, November 03, 2009

1984

They stormed the Golden Temple in pursuit of Bhindranwale and called it Operation Bluestar. The events that unfolded led to the assassination of Indira Gandhi, the Anti-Sikh riots and a change in the country’s leadership from mother to son. As India recovered from the deliberate killings at the time, death crept to a few others in Bhopal and gave them no choice. Somewhere in the middle of all that Rakesh Sharma praised the nation from space and Bachendri Pal pitched the tricolour on the Everest. And though the social psyche was in turmoil with the turbulent events that shook the country and the streak of pride that isolated events like space odysseys and mountain conquests brought, India was infrastructurally taking a new direction with the appearance of the Calcutta Metro and of computers in government offices. It truly was a year post which India was never the same again. That year 25 years ago…

Oblivious to this tectonic shift that the nation experienced, I was born a few days before Indira Gandhi was laid to rest. I became a child of the year that left a scar for more reasons than one. And with the memory of those events, mostly painful and some proud, I turned 25 this year.

Not unlike 1984, my life has been marked by some unpleasantness, loss as well as a few accomplishments. It has been quite eventful so far to say the least. One only hopes that life takes a direction only for the better the way India did eventually. One cannot get rid of all the problems and yet it is possible to progress in a generally favourable direction. Let’s see where this child of 1984 goes.

I am thankful to V and D for the beautiful birthday flowers that brought colour to my house, to P and K for the lovely little wooden chest that adorns the table now, to PA for the lamp that symbolizes enlightenment, to S and B for remembering to call from across the seven seas and wish me, to my brother for sending that nice portrait sketch at midnight…I’m quite flattered really : ), to each and everyone who called in to wish right from after midnight or left me mails or messages on the phone & FB and kept the birthday spirit alive, to my adorable sis for a wonderful birthday lunch at a splendid location with a view : ) , to V&V for the very thoughtfully picked books and notebook…just the thought that went into it touched me, to HT for a nice conversation over coffee and chocolates, to my nieces for forcing me to cut a cake…I loved the way they smiled while eating it, to S and V for an elaborately planned surprise…I am yet to get over what I got and how I got it frankly!, to S for Dalrymple, to P for throwing me the warmest personal birthday party ever and for the crockery…ice-cream just tastes better when there is a touch of warmth to the cold : ) , to S for the book…its my first African author…and to all those who wish me well…it works most of the time so do keep at it : )


The month was also marked by birthdays of best friends and a few surprise birthday parties for dear friends that just extended the fun from the beginning right to the end of the month. I had a lot of fun being part of each plan in my small way and all my friends should know how much I enjoyed it. I wish all the happiness in the world to be the least of the things they receive in life and that we continue to celebrate life and ourselves each year on. God bless...

8 Thinkers Pondered:

Nirupama said...

I am so glad that you enjoyed your birthday D.....I am happy that after almost two years I was here to celebrate your birthday and was capable enough to buy you a gift.... :)

Poonam Tripathi Singampally said...

Good article Anu!

Well I was big enough to remember that year, especially I was in Bhopal then. But it was definitely good as you were born then :-) , and as a child I was thrilled for one more reason(don't think so good of myself about this now!), because state board canceled annual exams for all the schools due the "Bhopal Gas Tragedy", and all the kids went through "General Promotion" and got it into higher classes :-)

amit- matrixator@gmail.com said...

i was searching for my sister's name on net,her name is same as yours.i tease her a lot for having such a boring name and always tell her to change it. so when i saw this blog i thought maybe she loves her name too much and started writing a blog. this tells how i landed up on your blog.(no offences meant if you like your name)
keeping these things apart i liked your blog especially the post -ENTANGLED.it epitomises our life.
anyway happy belated birthday.
adios
amit

Eveline said...

Whoa, you got a whole lotta books. How very exciting! R.K Narayan and Chinua Achebe...
I was trying to find a way to make your gift more interesting, but this is just beyond my meager skills. Happy Belated Birthday again.

Anupama said...

Hey Niru!

It was a special feeling and you should know that :)

Hey Poonam Didi!

I am sure perspectives change as we grow and as children it was impossible for us to imagine the scale of what happened in Bhopal...thanks for the comment :)

Hey Amit,

Thanks for stopping by and for the compliment :) ...do stop by again...

Hey Eve!!

You should know how much it meant to me to be able to meet you and have a lovely conversation...and I adore the gift absolutely...the only reason it or you aren't mentioned on the blog anywhere yet is because a complete post is coming up on that...just finding the right context and words...Hugs to you sweety and thanks for the wishes :)

Satish said...

Belated Birthday wishes....Wishing you a great year ahead!!!

Hrish Thota said...

you should add U2's album 'The Unforgettable Fire' too which was released in 1984: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unforgettable_Fire

but of course u were counting only India based events! :)

Trance Music Forever said...

I came across your blog while searching for Bindrawale :P. Anyways, I think you forgot Bhopal Gas tragedy and, a precursor to that was India's decision to supply several hundred tonns of steel to Russia for building their DUGA (over the horizon radar), The steel plant which provided that amount of steel was Bhilai Steel Plant ;) Hardly anyone knows this calm central Indian town was involved in the cold war era :p Anyways we avenged Indira's death in 1988 with a case of Exploding Mangoes[good read] Anyways back to the blog, Nice Post! Nicely put!- Regards, Sai Kiran Sharma