Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Darling Pretty

It was a birthday gift, the album…Golden Heart by Mark Knopfler. If I fell in love with the gruff voice when I first heard Mark Knopfler sing in Dire Straits songs, then this album took it to a whole new level. And it played on repeat for weeks together after I got it…side A, side B, side A, side B (no I didn’t have a CD player or mp3 music then…when do you think I was born…yesterday?) There may have been considerable damage inflicted on the tape due to this Repetitive Stress Injury inflicted by my ways of listening to music.

Anyway, I didn’t hear the songs on that album for a lot of time after since I left my cassettes at home when I moved to Bangalore. But yesterday while listening to a particular instrumental piece in Brothers In Arms I suddenly remembered the song Golden Heart. And though I didn’t find it online I found another favourite from the same album – Darling Pretty.

Listening to that song was like taking a trip back to when I was in college…sitting at my study table at 1 in the morning with a cup of tea alongside either studying for an upcoming preliminary exam, reading a book, writing a letter or just daydreaming (question: if you daydream at night what is it called? I mean if you dream at night that’s ideally in your sleep right? So what is this kind of dreaming called?)…I was high on daydreaming; it was almost a hobby of mine (it still is)…and the most amazing part is that most of my daydreams have come true so far (God forbid my night dreams come true! I dream of prowling tigers and cheetahs and I am always running away from them…interestingly, I am not even remotely scared of the idea of big cats when I am conscious and for as long as I remember have wanted to see a tiger in the wild!)…The song Darling Pretty playing somewhere in the endless loop that the album had become. And Mark Knopfler’s baritone accentuated the entire setting perfectly well.

It was a beautiful time…most things about it. Life was all about studying for the next exam (up until we heard the word recruitment in the Third Year of engineering and life as we knew it came to an end…it became all about making a living than living itself), doing what you truly enjoyed – reading, writing to far away friends, having endless philosophical discussions, debating, organizing events, dreaming. Life has only got better since then but in different ways. And I miss that time…not in the I-want-to-go-back way but in the I-really-loved-that-time way. School and College were the places where the foundation for my life was laid and I will be eternally grateful to my past for giving me a strong platform to stand on and see the future.

So here’s to the sweet old time…Darling Pretty. I hope you enjoy the song.

Mark Knopfler - Darling Pretty

12 Thinkers Pondered:

eye-in-sty-in said...

too late to listen now.... will hv to come back tomorrow...

dreaming is such joy... i once saw tiger/lion paw prints. never seen the actual cat in he wild though...

eye-in-sty-in said...

seems like a song that would grow on you.... the voice is as u have described it... gruff and deep that almost gets drowned by the guitars....

Anupama said...

Hey Spike!

Even I saw pug marks quite a few times...hoping someday I'll see the cat make fresh ones in the soil :)

It's a nice and easy song which is best enjoyed when heard in the distance I think...like even if you are in one room and its playing in another...and I love the guitars in there too!

Thanks for the comments :) , the first one being at the hour it was...just curious, do you have a slight jetlag by any chance?

eye-in-sty-in said...

"Slight jetlag" would be putting it mildly! Usually its very hectic when I get here and am busy doing things. This time its just chilling. So the effect is multiplied... How I long to go on a long drive... but thats not happening atleast now!

Smita said...

Well u can call it dreaming with open eyes :-)

Can't listen to the song right now but loved the nostalgic feel of the post :-)

Satish said...

Day dreaming is a great art and very few can master.... i too am guilty of it few times.......

Some of them have come true and coincidentanly one of them past week was coming face to face with the big cats!!!!! It surely pays to day dream......

Anupama said...

Hey Smita,

Half the time I seem to live in the world of my memories but then its kinda fun :) ...thanks for the comment...

Hey Satish,

You make me envious!! Where did you spot these beautiful animals? I might go and put my cat-dreams to rest once and for all :) ...thanks for the comment...

Saltwater Blues said...

Nobody's got the Gun is my fav from Golden Heart.

Such a delghtful little blog you have here Anupama ... Am glad I found it (came here from Eve's.)

Cheers,
SwB

Anupama said...

Hey Saltwater Blues!

Welcome to the blog :) and thank you so much for the nice words.

I love Nobody's Got The Gun equally well, as also No Can Do, Cannibals, Done With Bonaparte, Jus Suis Desole...in fact all the songs on that album have some appeal...the delight of Mark Knopfler's voice...

Thanks for the comment :)

wander1ust said...

Hey Anu - I checked your blog after a while. Thanks for giving me an award :) Also, thanks for posting these songs on your blog - I have discovered some great music thanks to them esp. "Darling Pretty" here and "Neels Drifts" from an earlier post :)

Anupama said...

Hey Wander1ust,

You are most welcome :) and it's my pleasure...

出張ホスト said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.