Saturday, July 25, 2009

Bazaar

Many connotations.

I just got back from Gandhi Bazaar after having breakfast at Vidyarthi Bhavan spiced with a nice conversation with Push. The sight of the fresh flowers that were a riot of colours lining the street was the perfect way to kickstart the weekend, after a lovely walk in Lalbagh amidst the green spray painted with colour here and there and a comforting cold breeze blowing over the lake, of course. It is in the middle of that market that I create a new memory every week to treasure – of a friendship and conversations that are a constant source of joy.

More than that, on my way back while I waited at a signal near Lalbagh, peeping out from under a delicately embroidered Burqa were the arms of the woman waiting next to me. And I couldn’t help but notice her bangles. There is the middle of all that chaos and while I was stationary, my mind wandered back to when I was a child…those bangles.

We used to have a gramophone record of the 1981 film ‘Bazaar’ among many others at home. I remember being fascinated by the jacket of that record whenever I would sit down to clean and reorganize the records – it was a splash of Technicolor with the sketch of Smita Patil’s face in watermark. Every once in a long forgotten while my father used to pull it out and play it on the gramophone player (ok don’t imagine the old His Master’s Voice logo kind of a player…this was a modern Gramophone record player and it was more or less a big box if you need the aesthetic details). And for some reason he would always play just one song and change the record. So it wasn’t until much later that I discovered my favourite from the record.

Anyway. It was this song that popped out from my childhood today. On the record, right before this song plays, is a conversation between a lady (Supriya Pathak in the movie I presume) and a bangle-seller. There was this reference to ‘Dhaani Chudiyan’ which would linger. And then the song would begin playing…Phir Chhidi Raat, Baat Phoolon Ki



My favourite from the record though is ‘Dikhai Diye Yun Ke Bekhud Kiya’. I love the way the music was arranged, the lyrics and the feel of the song. Take a listen.



So that’s how Bazaar figures in my weekend…a market and a memory. I never got around to seeing the movie though, it has a lovely cast – Naseeruddin Shah, Farooq Sheikh, Smita Patil and Supriya Pathak. Maybe I should try and catch it sometime for old time’s sake.

Have a good weekend everybody : )

10 Thinkers Pondered:

aritra the daydreamer said...

aha!!!! liked the song....

Anupama said...

Hi Aritra,

Welcome to the blog :) ...and thank you so much for the comment...

Vibhushan said...

Oh yeah. These are simply awesome songs. I guess male singer in song "phir chidi raat" is Talat Aziz. He has such melodious, comforting, soothing voice!
And yes, she is Supriya Pathak talking about dhani chudiya .
The movie though is quite heavy stuff... typical Farook, Naseer, Smita Patil genre.
Would suggest you listen to "Zindagi Jab Bhi Teri Bazm me Layi Hai Humhe" from Umrao-Jaan (old one). Music is on same lines and Talat Aziz is again awesome in it.
Thanks for reminding me of these amazing gems of music. :)

Vibhushan said...

And as I searched for other songs from Bazaar, was reminded of "Dekh Lo Aaj Humko Jee Bhar Ke". This one used to be my favourite long back when I had a cassette of this movie. Song is alive with emotions, thanks to superb singing. Here's the link http://my-utterances.sulekha.com/blog/post/2007/09/phir-chidi-raat-baat-phulon-ki-bazaar-bouquet.htm

Nikki said...

Hello!

I like the songs you suggested here! my first visit to your blog. Nice place.

jayant said...

Hello Anupama,

The cast of the movie made me want to catch it up some time. May be ten years ago I would have laughed at it but then, I wasn't 24 then!

I found simplicity in your expression,something that I always want as a reader(due to my limited vocab and thinking ability!).It is amazing how such small incidents in markets can switch on your creativity.. would love to read more.

Sowmya said...

I heard the song for the first time 16 years ago I think while watching this programme called Surabhi on Doordarshan (Renuka Shahane and Siddhartha Kak) I dont know how many even remember... The team was covering some marketplace where flowers were being sold and this song played as background music... I have loved the song...There were days when I would listen to this song once every day... whenever I see heaps and garlands of flowers, especially Rajnigandha, I think of this song...

Shayari said...

Hi Anupama,

Hopped in from Smita's blog.
Couldn't be more true with the old world charm of Basavangudi. The temples, simplicity and the festive atmosphere of this place mmmm simply in love with it.

A nice post there!!:-)

Anupama said...

Hey Vibhushan,

I seem to prefer the heavy stuff when it comes to movies so I think I'll tag this movie and watch it :). And will certainly listen to the songs suggested...I feel old-Hindi song-like now so I should catch up on that a bit I guess. Thanks for the comment :)

Hey Nikki,

Welcome to the blog and thanks for the compliment :) ...glad you liked the song...And glad you stopped by since I found your blog...that's some bit of writing! Would love to catch up on all that...

Hey Jayant,

Welcome to the blog :) ...thank you for the nice words and I hope there will be more of the kind of writing that you like and makes you visit again :)

Hey Sowmya,

I can think of only one song when I see Rajnigandha flowers and that is 'Rajnigandha phool tumhare'...call it conditioning or just lack of creativity...but yes 'Phir chhidi raat' is a beautiful song...thanks for the comment...

Hey Shayari,

Welcome to the blog :) and thanks for the comment and compliment. That's what I love about Bangalore - old world charm coupled with new age dynamism (that's still finding its foothold though)...I just love this place :)

Priya Iyer said...

lovely post.. i love roaming around in bazaars just for the heck of it.. somehow enjoy it, while the better half just does not get what i do there when i don't want to shop :P

ooooohhhh bangles!!! love them too... :) been ages since i wore those colourful ones packed away safely after my marriage :( should bring them out.. thanks for reminding me!

and ya, about the songs of bazaar, i was, am and always will be in awe of them.. thanks for making me listen to them and recreating the magic once again.. :)