Thursday, May 14, 2009

If Today Was Your Last Day

I just HAD to share this song with all of you. I heard it for the first time some time ago (what a pity!) and have been tripping over it ever since. I love everything about this song (have I been saying that too much?? Blame the musicians who create such lovely tunes having the most beautiful words : ) ) …I love Chad Kroeger’s voice, I love the tune, I love the very short guitar riff at the very end of most lines (you would have to personally come and ask me to show you what I am talking about), I love the lyrics every bit of them, I love the message being passed around…

I am not sure if this is characteristic of only the Indian society or of cultures elsewhere too but death and dying are such conversational and mental taboos that it amazes me. We are just not allowed to think about or utter words like ‘What if I die’ or ‘My death’ or ‘XYZ’s death’…I don’t wish to make this into a morbid post but we have to understand that we are not going to live forever; but we all act as if we are. Life is too short to accommodate things like beauty, happiness, friendship, love…I wonder how people find time to accommodate anger, hatred, regret and such negative emotions. Life should be considered to be a painting contest where everyone has been alloted limited time. Would you paint a hideous, sad or ugly picture if you wanted to win? What would you paint if you wanted to win? Paint that in reality…

I am not suggesting that you spend everyday preparing for your death…that is how you should NOT live…live with all your focus on life and the beautiful things it brings along. Choose. When you walk into a multiplex, do you watch every movie that is being screened? You choose to watch only the best…something that gives you value for your money and time…gives you a good feeling and entertainment. Sometimes you experiment, choose something different and live with it if it turns out to be a blip. Life is no different. Choose in life. See only the good, see only beauty, believe only in the best, discard everything else. Extract value from your life. Make it entertaining. What if someone were to tell the story of your life? What if you were to tell it to your grand children? How would you like it to sound? Live a good interesting story. Every story has places where the protagonists fall. But there are turnarounds too. Get up and be the hero of your own story. Live!

I could go on to tell you how I would like my life to look and sound towards the very end but maybe some other time. Without much further ado, presenting ‘If Today Was Your Last Day’. Do read what the song has to say and I swear it is something to live by. In fact, this song just became one of my anthems. I hope you really enjoy and absorb this one…

My best friend gave me the best advice
He said each day’s a gift and not a given right
Leave no stone unturned, leave your fears behind
And try to take the path less traveled by
That first step you take is the longest stride

If today was your last day
And tomorrow was too late
Could you say goodbye to yesterday?
Would you live each moment like your last?
Leave old pictures in the past
Donate every dime you have?
If today was your last day

Against the grain should be a way of life
What’s worth the price is always worth the fight
Every second counts ’cause there’s no second try
So live like you’ll never live it twice
Don’t take the free ride in your own life

If today was your last day
And tomorrow was too late
Could you say goodbye to yesterday?
Would you live each moment like your last?
Leave old pictures in the past
Donate every dime you have?

Would you call old friends you never see?
Reminisce of memories
Would you forgive your enemies?
Would you find that one you’re dreamin’ of?
Swear up and down to God above
That you'll finally fall in love

If today was your last day
If today was your last day

Would you make your mark by mending a broken heart?
You know it’s never too late to shoot for the stars
Regardless of who you are
So do whatever it takes
‘Cause you can’t rewind a moment in this life
Let nothin’ stand in your way
Cause the hands of time are never on your side

If today was your last day
And tomorrow was too late
Could you say goodbye to yesterday?
Would you live each moment like your last?
Leave old pictures in the past
Donate every dime you have?

Would you call old friends you never see?
Reminisce of memories
Would you forgive your enemies?
Would you find that one you’re dreamin’ of?
Swear up and down to God above
That you'll finally fall in love
If today was your last day.


Nickelback - If today was your last day
If Today Was Your Last Day by Nickelback on Grooveshark

4 Thinkers Pondered:

Sowmya said...

Your blog title should be "I Feel... Therefore I Am Anupama" :)

Vibhushan said...

Though I am horrible at painting, but am sure, following your blog's idealism, I will make an interesting paint :)
And on choosing to LIVE, and more such choices to make, I am reminded of this line from the Baz Luhrmann's 'Wear Sunscreen' song -- "your
choices are half chances, so are everybody else’s"

Satish said...

Have seldomly seen anyone getting moved so much by music.... i have known people who have dedicated their life to music but haven;t seen them moved so much by music.....

as long as music is bringing melody into your life, keep listening......

Anupama said...

Hey Sowmya,

I'll definitely consider the name :) ...thanks for the comment...

Hey Vibhushan,

Oh that Sunscreen Song should also be on everyone's list of Anthems to live life by :)

Hey Satish,

Thank you so much for stopping by :) ...music is really my life blood and its what keeps me going in the worst of situations...it's just beautiful and I hope everybody finds some beauty in music...