Monday, February 16, 2009

Neela Drifts



This has been a week of discovering some very good music and it is like medicine for my soul…the melodies and their magic. And the latest wave of the wand happens to be the song Neela Drifts by Brian Tyler from the soundtrack of The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift.

The first time I heard this song on my headphones I could actually see t
he place it took me to in my mind's eye…the song started slowly as if it were a soft whisper calling out to me, beckoning me to take a path …leading to a closed door…the guitar caught up as I rose and stood up…the lead guitar kicked in as I took the first step towards the door beyond which lay the unknown…I followed the music and continued walking the path, full of anticipation and hope…the music built up as I reached the door…there was a stillness in the song while I pushed the door open…a bright flash of light blinded me momentarily…I stepped inside and the view started to clear as I walked on, the drums braced me for what awaited…there was a roll as the view cleared and I discovered the beauty in front of me, spellbound…it was like stepping into my own Neverland…a land of fairies where there was gold dust in the air, there were colours all around, there were gurgling streams glistening in soft sunlight, there were rising mountains wrapped in mist watching over me…it was a world where anything was possible and all my dreams came true…in short as the song ended and played the lead piece again it felt like I had come home...I felt nice.While listening to it another time, I was transported to that night when we were at the Kaup Beach…with the waves crashing boisterously against the sands, pitch darkness all around, a sheet of black overhead where there were a million twinkles that one could look at forever as one lay on the back, star-gazing…there were two or three fishing boats out at sea, their yellow dots of light marking the horizon, and there was this beam from the lighthouse that swept across that darkness every few seconds…calling all those who were out at sea, home…showing them the way. I got up a while later and walked along the shore in the darkness, alone…I felt small in front of the wild sea…even a little scared…I needed someone to hold hands with but no one came and I went to sleep by myself. The next sight I witnessed was the colours of sunrise brightening the sky while I was still half-asleep…that’s what I see in my mind when the stillness pervades the song. Then there was the endless blue sea against the blue sky that you could stare at forever as the white waves redecorated the shore every few seconds. We collected shells and ambled around on the beach before returning to civilization. Neela Drifts is a beautiful way to go back to that night and drift through it.There are many other things I see at various times when I hear this song over and over again…every time I close my eyes it is like thrusting my hand into a goody bag…I don’t know what’s in store for my imagination –A long stretch of the highway with only green fields on either side and a long string of good music playing as the wheels roll…taking us nowhere in particular but forward…

A walk through fog-wrapped Brno peering at Church steeples that strained to hide behind the curtains…A view of the valley and mountains and sunrise over them from that quaint old home-stay in Sakleshpur…

Walking through the empty town-square of Banska Bystrica hearing the air being filled with sounds of church bells and chimes…walking silently through the decorated cemetery with views of the snow-capped Tatras in the distance…

Watching the falling snow from the window of my apartment today evening when I was home for a short while and how beautiful it made everything else look too while this song played in the background…tears flowing out of my eyes as I got overwhelmed by what I saw and had no one to share it with or understand how I felt about it…

It is probably all this and more…I cannot really describe how I feel deep inside when I hear this song…only what I see along with it…it stirs me…some songs are like that…seven colours, seven heavens and seven notes…they make it all complete.


Neela Drifts by Brian Tyler on Grooveshark

3 Thinkers Pondered:

Utsarg said...

I read - and loved - the post before I listened to the song. Both post and song are equally pleasant.

Music has power to transport you to an altogether different world of your dreams and passions. While this music takes you to so many beautiful places and memories, I have many songs in my favourite list because of the special moments to which they are associated with. In either case, music compliments and completes the memories around these moments and consummates the related emotions. Enjoyed reading this beautiful post it with "Rehna Tu" from Dilli 6.

Utsarg said...

I read - and loved - the post before I listened to the song. Both post and song are equally pleasant.

Music has power to transport you to an altogether different world of your dreams and passions. While this music takes you to so many beautiful places and memories, I have many songs in my favourite list because of the special moments to which they are associated with. In either case, music compliments and completes the memories around these moments and consummates the related emotions. Enjoyed reading this beautiful post it with "Rehna Tu" from Dilli 6.

Eveline said...

Liked the song... You know for a minute there i think did get transported :)