Friday, January 30, 2009

Two Sleepy People

I heard this perfect-for-snuggling-in-bed-with-coffee-and-listening song yesterday. Its called Two Sleepy People by Silje Nergaard. I had never heard of her before and what I also discovered in addition to her today is the fact that for every bit we know there is so much more that we don’t. It is a simple song but the way it has been sung with so much affection and the way it gets the bottomline of love right, it touched my heart.
You can listen to the song online here: http://www.deezer.com/track/2172429

Here is how the song goes…I am in love with the picture that the lyrics paint : )

Here we are,
Out of cigarettes
Holding hands and yawning
Look how late it gets.

Two Sleepy People
By dawn's early light,
And too much in love
To say, "Good night."

Here we are,
In the cozy chair
Pickin' on a wishbone
From the Frigidaire,

Two Sleepy People
With nothing to say,
And too much in love
To break away.

Do you remember
The nights we used to linger in the hall?
Father didn't like you at all.

Do you remember
The reason why we married in the fall?
To get a little rest, to get this little nest.

Here we are
Just about the same
Foggy little fella,
Drowsy little dame.

Two Sleepy People
With nothing to say
And too much in love
To break away.

I share a special bond with the person who sent me this song. She is my senior from college and after she graduated I might have met her less than 5 times. Yet, she is special. She was the one I was terrified of the most in my first few weeks at the University…so much that I used to break into cold sweat at the sight of her. And for some reason she would pick me of all the people for those funny things our seniors would make us poor freshers do – singing the Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thhi anthem, playing pretend Badminton, singing in all languages that anyone in our families was conversant with, singing Yeh Dosti from Sholay THE WAY JAY AND VEERU SANG IT (my knees got locked for a while after I pretended to be sitting in the side-car like Veeru)…all sorts of embarrassing and fun stuff.

I never quite got over my fear of her for a year more. But when we did start talking I realized what a sweet person she is. I have scattered memories of my interactions with her, which were at best limited…playing Basketball with her and my sister on our University court…just the three of us on a golden evening…talking more than we were playing, visiting her home to deliver my study notes and having a nice chat, a few mails we exchanged after she graduated, running into her at the Kingfisher Octoberfest in Bangalore and remembering the senior-junior relationship when she raised an eyebrow to me being there (I remember hastily clarifying that I don’t drink Beer and was just with some friends forgetting that we were out of college and just friends then), catching up in Forum and having a conversation that I never thought I would have with her…it warmed my heart.

I haven’t met her since that evening we spent in Forum. But we exchange mails off and on. And I realize that she, with our limited interaction and the distance between us, gets me more than some people who have known me forever do.

People are like that. You never know when you find that piece that makes the puzzle of your life more complete, the colour that adds what was missing in the painting of your life even if it is just one brush stroke…like an occasional Hello, a warm message which somehow ALWAYS comes when you need it most, pouring their heart out in just four sentences when you were wondering about the same thing but didn’t know if you were feeling right…we are connected to some people on the planet like that…our instincts are bound together…our wavelengths are the same…it is our web…our safety net.

Wherever she is she should know that she is special. She brings a smile to my face even through 3 lines of a mail…coz those 3 are the lines I need to read when they come. I wish I could meet her more often and get to know her better. And I wish for nothing but the very best to be in store for her in life. And a big thanks for Two Sleepy People : )

1 Thinkers Pondered:

Utsarg said...

Ohhh... the good old campus days of ragging... [sigh... deep sigh]