Thursday, June 26, 2008

Poets Of The Fall

Worldspace gets it – there is so much to hear. There really is…

Like the Finnish band Poets Of The Fall. Sometimes when I hear their music it makes me regret not knowing about them earlier or them not being as renowned as they deserve to be. These guys are creating some phenomenal music and it is a pity the international music scene is missing it. All the people who care know about them know though. Just check the album reviews on Amazon or the Forum on their website to be convinced.

POTF’s claim to fame is the Max Payne 2 video game which features their song Late Goodbye. But that is just one of their must-hear songs. Carnival of Rust is un-missable too. I listen to it EVERYDAY, trust me. The list of do-not-miss is quite exhaustive in their case.

Each of POTF’s songs is distinct. In addition to the music being great, these guys stay up to their name by writing some very poetic lyrics. Here are a few of my favourite lines from some of their songs. The song titles are links to their tracks on the online player Deezer (which is great in itself by the way). Hear them and feel good music come alive again! These are just the appetizers…if you feel like main course, search them on Deezer and lose yourself in the music…Enjoy yourself…

Shallow:

More in my face
Than is my taste
I grow so weary I'll surrender
To what they say
Let them lead the way
Till' I can no longer remember

Reminds me of times when I am trying to convince someone and I know that I have my facts in place…after a point I just bow down and concede. There is no convincing people who stick to their opinions dearer than they do to their life…as if if they changed their opinion they would lose their identity. I despise people with closed minds…

Lift:

Times when I just can't
Bring myself to say it loud
'Fraid that what I'll say comes out somehow awry
That is when it seems
We move in circles day to day
Twist the drama of the play to get us by

I love the guitar piece at the beginning of the song. A fast-paced song that is a joy to hear. And the guitar riffs are great.

Roses:

Grow me a garden of roses
Paint me the colors of sky and rain
Teach me to speak with their voices
Show me the way and I'll try again

This song brims over with a hopeful tone. I love it for what it does to my heart. And I love the phrase Grow Me A Garden Of Roses…what a beautiful expression of desire!

Fire:

I feel the fire flare alight inside me
Higher so I can see
N' aspire to survive this fight in spite of
Liars and travesty
Oh fire

This song is fast and somehow makes me want to get up and swing into action…do something…it has that quality of bringing the inner spark alive…true to its title.

Dawn:

Remembrance, can be a sentence, but it comes to you with a second chance in tow
Don't lose it, don't refuse it, cos you cannot learn a thing you think you know

This is a haunting melody which again has a tone of hope and new life. Very soothing…

Marko’s voice is something I have fallen in love with…he sings like God. I am swooning in the real sense of the word – over his voice, over the lyrical melodies and over the music…Poets Of The Fall have brought me unparalleled joy. And it is my wish that you feel it for yourself too...

So go ahead and experience Poets Of The Fall. You won't regret it!

4 Thinkers Pondered:

Sowmya said...

Nice to see a post after a long time... and that too poetry

Keep writing...

love
sowmya

Satish said...

"Music should strike fire from the heart of man, and bring tears from the eyes of woman" - Ludwig Van Beethoven

From the post it can be said, POTF have definitely done a musical masterpiece... The graphics of MAX PAYNE was as revolutinary as the music itself, inspired from the movie matrix.

Though i'm not an expert in Western Music(read english songs)...refreshing to see the good old poetry.....

Vinni said...

you out do yourself each time! loved the notes / lyrics.

Anupama Kondayya said...

Hey Sowmya,

Thanks for the comment. I wish I had written that poetry...

Hey Satish,

I loved that quote from Beethoven!! Thanks for the comment :)

Hey Vinni!

The blog missed you and your comments :) Welcome back!